Establishing Paternity and Visitation to see your Child

Establishing Paternity and Visitation to see your Child

What does a father do if mom does not allow dad to visit his child? This situation becomes more difficult in situations where the father is not married to the mother such as in a boyfriend/ girlfriend relationship where girlfriend gets pregnant and the relationship breaks up prior to the birth of the child. It is a natural reaction for many mom/ girlfriend to use the child to get even with ex boyfriend by not allowing ex boyfriend to visit the child after the child is born. Sometimes, the ex boyfriend/ dad is not even named in the birth certificate.

In this situation, dad could file a Petitioner for Paternity. Generally, signing a voluntary declaration of paternity when the child is born has the same force and effect as a judgment of paternity. family code 7573, 7644.

Please note that this article is not legal advice and is not intended as legal advice. The article is intended to provide only general, non-specific legal information. This article is not intended to cover all the issues related to the topic discussed. The specific facts that apply to your matter may make the outcome different than would be anticipated by you. This article does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, P.C. This article is not a solicitation.

Attorney Kenneth Ursua Reyes was President of the Philippine American Bar Association for 2005. He is a member of both the Family law section and Immigration law section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Mr. Reyes is a Certified Family Law Specialist. He is a graduate of Southwestern University Law School in Los Angeles and California State University, San Bernardino School of Business Administration. He has extensive former CPA experience prior to law practice. LAW OFFICES OF KENNETH REYES, P.C. is located at 3699 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA, 90010. Tel. (213) 388-1611 or e-mail; visit at

Related Posts
  • A spouse who commingles separate assets with community assets has the burden of tracing their separate property interest to get reimbursement in a divorce. Read More
  • Ensuring Child Safety and Best Interests: The Implications of California Family Code 3011 Read More
  • Prevailing Parties and Attorney's Fees under California Family Code Section 6344: The Impact of New Requirements on Frivolous Domestic Violence Restraining Orders Read More