Dedicated Family Lawyers
Divorce Lawyer in Los Angeles, California
Experienced Divorce Attorneys Serving Los Angeles County
Since 1999, the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, APC has been devoted to helping men and women throughout Los Angeles get through their divorces in as efficient and effective a manner as possible.
Our Los Angeles divorce lawyers believe in the importance of getting to know our clients on a personal level in order to form relationships based on trust. In doing so, we are more likely to help our clients obtain their desired outcomes.
Check out some of our notable attributes:
- Services provided in a variety of different languages
- 10 years of experience as a former CPA
- Membership with the Los Angeles County bar Association
- Admitted to practice in the California Supreme Court
- Board certified by the California State Bar as a specialist in family law
We understand that divorce can be one of the most overwhelming legal processes to have to go through, and our attorneys do everything in our power to help our clients reach outcomes that are most favorable for their situation. Discover how our expertise and dedication can help you.
Board CERTIFIED Family Law Specialist
As a Board Certified Family Law Specialist, Attorney Reyes has established himself as an expert in the field. In order to achieve this certification, our founder had to pass an in-depth and complicated test, demonstrating his professional ability, ongoing education, and recognition among peers and judges. Very few lawyers in California can claim this accomplishment, and Attorney Reyes has become known throughout the community for the trusted counsel and effective representation he provides.
Going through a divorce requires you to set terms for a variety of aspects, legal matters that are both complicated and vital to your future. If you are able to work through your divorce peacefully through negotiation, or if your situation calls for a contested divorce in a Los Angeles family court, we stand ready to assist you.
Unlike some other firms that pass their cases around from staff member to staff member, our clients work directly with one attorney throughout the entirety of the divorce case. This is because our LA divorce lawyers genuinely care about the well-being and best interests of our clients.
We acknowledge how stressful it can be to work through any of these issues, and you can rest assured that, should you choose to hire our firm, we will work tirelessly to help you get the results you deserve. With more than 19 years of experience in the field and plenty of civil litigation experience, we are prepared to take on complicated cases.
Learn more about our services and schedule a case evaluation with our Los Angeles Divorce lawyer – give us a call at (213) 798-4854 or contact us online!
Collaborative Divorce in California
Collaborative divorce is the best means for those that need help coming to an agreement about important property division, custody, and alimony decisions in Los Angeles, CA. The process allows you and your spouse to speak through these important issues to come to a solid agreement. Each spouse will meet separately with their own attorney to discuss their specific needs and desires, and then all four of you will meet to try and come to terms with your unique needs. If a settlement is not made and the couple in unable to come to an agreement, all attorneys must remove themselves from the case and it must go to court.
Collaborative divorce benefits:
- Allows you to handle the post-divorce negotiations on your own
- Uses a temporary agreement to stabilize an explosive situation
- Gives you a settlement that embodies your unique needs
- Voluntary exchanges ideas and information instead of court-ordered
- Streamlines the entire divorce process
- Can help reduce the overall expenses of a divorce since you decrease the amount of time and money that will be poured into the divorce process
Contact our firm to learn more and see if this process will work for you.
Divorce Process in California
There seems to be a misconception in the general public that you can only obtain a divorce in Los Angeles, California if your spouse will sign the divorce papers. Rather, the process for divorce in California is as follows:
- Residency requirement - You or your spouse must reside in the State for at least 6 months prior to filing the petition and in the County for 3 months prior to filing the petition.
- Filing - When you file a divorce petition, you have to serve your spouse with the summons and petition. There is a specific way this needs to happen, so contact our office to learn more.
- Response - Your spouse then has 30 days to file a response after being served with a divorce petition. If your spouse fails to file and serve you with a response, you can file a request for default against your spouse after 30 days. You can also file a proposed judgment for the court to approve. The default procedure can be done even if there are issues of property division, custody, visitation, and support. However, the Court will still review your proposed judgment and property division to make sure it conforms to the policy towards an equal division of community property.
- Settlement or trial - The only time you may need your spouse’s signature is if your spouse files a response to your divorce petition. This is called "contesting" the divorce. If your divorce is contested by your spouse, you can resolve the case either by "settlement" or by "trial."
- You do not have to settle all the issues in the case at once. Under the concept of divisible divorce, you can settle some of the issues and set the other issues which you and your spouse cannot agree on for trial.
- For issues that you and your spouse cannot agree on, you will have to go through the litigation process which involves obtaining discovery, exchanging declarations of disclosures, and preparing the case for trial.
How Our Experienced LA Divorce lawyers can help
While Attorney Reyes has extensive experience and knowledge in the field of family law, his background as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) further enhances his legal ability. This is because many issues involved in family law cases are of a financial nature.
With his experience as a CPA, our founder is able to bring skills to the table that other attorneys may not have to offer. More than anything, we want you to get through your divorce as painlessly as possible, and move on to a brighter future. No matter what your situation entails or how difficult things may seem, we are here to help you. Don't hesitate to see how our skilled legal team at the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, APC can be of service to you. Set up your appointment today!
Schedule a case evaluation with an experienced LA divorce lawyer – give us a call at (213) 798-4854 or contact us online!
“level-headed and professional” - J.C.
“To Kenneth, Fe and the entire team. Thank you so much....” - G.P.
“Never did we feel that the office treated us like mere clients. We truly felt partners throughout the process.” - J.C.
“No words to say but a big "Thank You" for all the help and confidence you gave me.” - O.F.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Board-Certified Family Law Specialist
- Over 24 Years of Legal Experience
- Award-Winning Certified Public Accountant
- Regularly Published Legal Professional
- Highly Involved in the Filipino Community
- Fluent in English, Spanish, Tagalog, and Bicol