Dedicated Family Lawyers
Los Angeles Contested Divorce Lawyer
Aggressively Fighting to Protect Your Assets in Contentious Divorce Proceedings in California
Divorce is undeniably one of the most difficult and stressful experiences in anyone’s life, commonly regarded as second only to the death of a loved one. While some couples can boast of being amicable and friendly throughout this undoubtedly painful and emotional process, they are certainly not the norm. More often than not, couples cannot stand to be around each other at all--let alone muster up the civility to be agreeable during their divorce proceedings. At the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, APC, we are here to provide you with compassionate yet effective legal representation for your contested divorce.
Call the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, APC, today at (213) 798-4854 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our contested divorce attorney in Los Angeles.
What is a Contested Divorce?
This disagreeable kind of reaction is far more common than the former, and it is known as contested divorce. Contested divorce does not simply mean you and your ex-spouse do not get along--it is far more contentious and complicated than that. A contested divorce means you and your ex-spouse cannot come to an agreement regarding one or several serious issues in your marriage, leaving those decisions up to the mercy of the judge, who may or may not rule in your favor.
The following may be issues of disagreement in a contested divorce:
If you are facing a contested divorce, it is essential you rely on the counsel and representation of a strong-minded and aggressive lawyer who will make your voice heard. Don’t make the mistake of sitting back and allowing a judge to make a permanent decision that may negatively and permanently alter your life.
What are the Requirements For a Contested Divorce in California?
California law recognizes two main types of divorce: contested and uncontested. As mentioned above a contested divorce arises when spouses are incapable of reaching an agreement on key matters such as property division, child custody, spousal support, and more. In such cases, the legal requirements for a contested divorce in California are as follows:
- Residency Requirement: At least one spouse must have been a resident of California for a minimum of six months before filing for divorce. If the residency requirement is not met, the court may not have jurisdiction over the case.
- Grounds for Divorce: California is considered a no-fault divorce state, meaning that spouses do not need to provide proof of fault or wrongdoing to obtain a divorce. The most common ground for divorce is "irreconcilable differences," indicating that the marriage has broken down irreparably.
- Filing the Petition: The process begins with one spouse filing a divorce petition, officially known as a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, with the appropriate court. The other spouse is then served with the petition and has the opportunity to respond.
At Kenneth U. Reyes, P.C., we have over 25 years of combined family law experience on our side. Our legal team is dedicated to helping resolve your family law matter in as seamless of a way as possible, because we know just how debilitating it may be to suffer from concerns about your family situation.
Client satisfaction is our ultimate goal, and we relentlessly apply all of our energy, time, and resources to ensuring you are fairly and accurately represented in your case. We pride ourselves on our reliable and compassionate legal counsel, coupled with our insatiable desire to succeed on your behalf.
Speak to a representative of our firm today by calling (213) 798-4854.
“Day or night, he was available to offer not just his legal expertise, but practical and honest advice as well. ” - S.M.
“level-headed and professional” - J.C.
“I can finally say now that my husband's dream to become a US citizen came true today March 6, 2016.” - C.K.
“He and his staff had guided us from the start until the time that we had an interview and finally got an approval on my petition for green card.” - J.B.
- Board-Certified Family Law Specialist
- Over 25 Years of Legal Experience
- Award-Winning Certified Public Accountant
- Regularly Published Legal Professional
- Highly Involved in the Filipino Community
- Fluent in English, Spanish, Tagalog, and Bicol