CBP policy on handling of expired greencards

CBP policy on handling of expired greencards

On July 26, 2004, the acting executive director for immigration policy and program Michael Hrinyak issued a memorandum regarding handling expired form I-551 green cards presented at the point of entry. US Customs and Border Protection Officers encountering an arriving green card holder in possession of an expired 10-year green card are to advise the green card holder of the need to renew the card and furnish the legal permanent resident with the form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, unless the greencard holder states that he or she is already in possession of the form I-90.

CBP officers were instructed that no further action must be taken. At no time, is the expired green card (form I-551) to be cut, clipped, or mutilated in any manner. These guidelines were established during the 1999 form I-551 renewal process and remain in effect today.

The above procedures only apply to 10 year permanent resident card. The policy does not apply to conditional permanent residents in possession of form I-551 with a 2 year expiration date. Conditional permanent residents are usually given to spouses and their derivatives who obtained their green cards based on marriage to a US citizen entered within 2 years. Conditional Permanent Residents in possession of an expired form I-551 must continue to have evidence confirming that their conditional resident status has been extended.

Please note that this article is not legal advice and is not intended as legal advice. The article is intended to provide only general, non-specific legal information. This article is not intended to cover all the issues related to the topic discussed. The specific facts that apply to your matter may make the outcome different than would be anticipated by you. This article does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kenneth U. Reyes, P.C. This article is not a solicitation.

Attorney Kenneth Ursua Reyes was President of the Philippine American Bar Association for 2005. He is a member of both the Family law section and Immigration law section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Mr. Reyes is a Certified Family Law Specialist. He is a graduate of Southwestern University Law School in Los Angeles and California State University, San Bernardino School of Business Administration. He has extensive former CPA experience prior to law practice. LAW OFFICES OF KENNETH REYES, P.C. is located at 3699 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA, 90010. Tel. (213) 388-1611 or e-mail kureyeslaw@gmail.com; visit at www.kenreyeslaw.com

Related Posts
  • What is the “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds” Final Rule ? Read More
  • What Immigration Benefits Are Available to Same Sex Marriages Post DOMA?? Read More
  • Provisional Waiver of Unlawful Presence Bar expanded to cover more Immigrants Read More